- Handsome Empire style burr walnut
- French painted bergere caned
- Irish king size no end all iron in black
- Solid walnut Louis XV
- Solid Walnut empire style
- Original French grey with gilded highlights super king size Empire style
- Exceptional quality bedroom suite with kingsize bed (RESERVED)
- Very pretty singles can be joined as kingsize
- Simple all iron dormitory style
- Handsome mahogany and fruit wood with parquetry detail
- Extremely rare super king size Winfield all brass bedstead
- Classic Victorian brass and white double bed
- Classic Victorian Black and brass double bed
- Pair of French caned Louis XV style single beds
- French kingsize African rosewood bed; (has matching armoire and bedside)
- Pretty English iron king size bed with brass knobs in mid lead grey
- Spanish white and brass
- Newly upholstered French walnut frame Louis XV style
- Lovely simple all iron hand finished in blackbird egg paint effect
- Classic Victorian and warm aged brass
- Directoire style two meter wide original painted
- Italian ornately carved and gilded low foot end upholstered bed
- Grey simple all iron king size
- Very pretty pair of small singles
- Pretty early black and brass
- Simple French all iron in Little Greene gauze paint
- Individual Edwardian white and brass double
- 160 cms width French upholstered bed
- Simple Irish iron double bed
- King size painted aged cream with light gilt detail French Empire Style
- Painted and gilded very ornate Italian bed with low foot end ; and matching three door wardrobe
- Pair of French upholstered single beds with crackle aged old white paintwork
- Simple Louis XV style cherry
- Pretty French bergere painted caned bed
- French walnut and fruit wood veneer,parquetry,ormalu and marquetry
- Sweet simple small white single
- French aged paintwork caned
- Irish cottage style black all iron
- Classic Edwardian kingsize heritage white and aged brass
- Pretty kingsize forged iron and brass no end
- Very pretty early iron no end
- Hand painted white and grey empire style French king size bed
- Classic Edwardian white and brass dip rail
- Original French directoire bed cracked aged paint
- Early Victorian all iron bed
- Pair of French bergere style single corbielle beds
- Good quality gilded carved and caned French king size bed
- Stunningly beautiful Louis XVI style large king size bed
- Sumptuous French double corbeille
- Pretty Victorian half tester in Linen wash
- Classic Victorian white and aged brass
- Beautifully carved French solid walnut
- French carved oak bed with pair of bedsides
- Gorgeous green forged iron double
- Mahogany and burr walnut
- Very pretty early iron no end double bed
- Irish cottage style
- Individual French brass bed with garlands
- Lovely high quality cherry Louis XV bedroom suite
- Pretty Victorian white king size
- Pair of magnificent quality Louis VX French walnut single beds
- Fully restored French upholstered double sleigh bed
- Gothic Victorian all brass with castors
- Beautiful carved oak marraige bed with matching bedsides and mirror
- Pair/super king size Italian Rococco bombe front walnut veneer
- Mahogany upholstered sleigh bed
- French Louis XVI style upholstered with light beech frame
- Prettiest forged iron Portuguese king size bed
- R.W Winfield original kingsize early Winfield bed
- Three quarter classic white and brass Victorian
- Empire style French double bed
- Simple all iron Irish
- Art Deco black and chrome double bedstead
- Handsome classic Victorian black and brass
- Very pretty forged iron bed
- Amazing beautiful French Louis XVIstyle bergere bedroom suite with kingsize bed (and quality fittin
- Very large bigger than super king size Directoire style French painted bed (part of suite)
The restoration of all our brass beds is carried out at our Chelvey workshop by our team of experts.
Dirt and rust built up over the years are stripped away and any damaged castings and bed knobs, either repaired or new parts recast to match.
Brass & Iron
Most of these brass and iron antique beds were made in the second half of the 19th century and originate from England and Western Europe.
Brass and iron beds became very popular from around 1840 and vary from simple ironwork to intricate combinations of iron and brass, porcelain and hand painted finishes.
Depending on the mood that you want to achieve, brass can polished to varying degrees.
A high polish gives an attractive lightness to the bed, whereas lightly polished antique brass a dark romantic patina.
Most of the antique wood beds originate from Southern France, and date from the 19th century.
The design of these bedsteads are revivals of earlier styles, occasionally combining several styles in the same bed. It is this combination of classical designs, larger sizes and craftsmanship that make 19th century beds so popular today.
Bedsteads are offered in natural wood finishes, a wide range of paint effects or can be hand polished to work with your existing furniture.
Some beds retain their original fabrics, condition permitting. However, we do offer an upholstery service.
At Bedsteads we employ our own upholsterer. Generally clients will have identified their chosen fabric but if help is required we have a extensive selection of fabric samples.
For upholstered beds the price quoted includes re-upholstery.