- Pretty French faux bamboo
- Attractive mahogany French bed with gilded bronze mounts
- Pair of joining single Gothic Cherry beds
- Empire style French mahogany
- Original painted French bergere
- INDIVIDUAL 160CM WIDE FRENCH ALL BRASS BED
- Gorgeous French naturally aged eau de nil frame king size
- Beautiful early iron with taper tubes
- Timeless classic Edwardian black and brass
- Beautiful French Rococo Baroque Italian
- Attractive simple Irish
- Spanish white and brass
- Pretty Victorian half tester in Linen wash
- Directoire style two meter wide original painted
- Handsome mahogany and fruit wood with parquetry detail
- 160 cms width French upholstered bed
- Pair of French bergere style single corbielle beds
- Pair of French upholstered single beds with crackle aged old white paintwork
- Pretty simple forged iron king size
- Magnificent burr walnut and flame mahogany
- Newly upholstered French Louis XVI sryle
- Beautiful original eau de nil painted carved roses bergere caned
- Lovely Louis XV style caned
- Exquisite Louis XV Rococo style bed and matching bedside.
- Simple and individual brass and white bedstead
- LOVELY ORIGINAL PORTUGUESE FORGED IRON KING SIZE BED
- Handsome French walnut Henri II
- Newly painted and upholstered pretty French
- Classic three quarter Victorian brass and iron bed
- Solid walnut simple Louis XVII
- French painted bergere caned
- Pair/super king size Italian Rococco bombe front walnut veneer
- Original French grey with gilded highlights super king size Empire style
- Irish cottage style
- Original French directoire bed cracked aged paint
- Amazing beautiful French Louis XVIstyle bergere bedroom suite with kingsize bed (and quality fittin
- Beautiful original paint bergere caned bed
- Classic Edwardian king size aged French grey and aged brass
- Beautiful early French Directoire style Lit Bateau ready for upholstery
- Pleasingly simple 1920s all iron
- Attractive Edwardian all brass
- COLONIAL STYLE SOLID OAK NO END DOUBLE BED
- All original king size classic Victorian white and aged brass
- Lovely quality impressive walnut kingsize Louis XV style
- Simple and lovely all iron French
- Individual and pretty iron and brass king size
- Beautiful Louis XV style double corbeille
- Quality mahogany bedroom suite with pair/super super king size
- Sumptuous French double corbeille
- Solid walnut Louis XV
- Italian ornately carved and gilded low foot end upholstered bed
- Extremely rare super king size Winfield all brass bedstead
- Lovely high quality cherry Louis XV bedroom suite
- French kingsize African rosewood bed; (has matching armoire and bedside)
- French mahogany bed and matching bedside
- Very good quality carved oak with matching bedsides
- Fabulous Victorian king size in old white
- Simple French iron in contemporary yellow
- Early black all iron c1890
- Nice quality Rosewood quarter veneer
- Beautifully restored classic Victorian brass and grey
- Pretty lower height parquetry and marquetry French walnut
- Lovely painted carved Louis XV style Rococco
- French walnut large superking size corbeille
- Solid Rosewood corbeille style French wide super king size
- Striking Art Deco style
- Lovely simple all iron hand finished in blackbird egg paint effect
- Sweet simple small white single
- Prettiest forged iron Portuguese king size bed
- Individual Edwardian white and brass double
- Early Victorian all iron bed
- Very large bigger than super king size Directoire style French painted bed (part of suite)
- Very attractive French oak double
- Lovely simple French hand painted superking size bed
- French empire style cherry bedroom suite
- Unusual and rare brass and cherry large double
- Adaptable French cane double bed/day bed
- Splendid Louis XV Rococo style walnut
- Lovely simple Irish all iron in black
- Super handsome king size Victorian aged brass and black
- French Louis XV style caned bergere
- Corbeille wood edge newly upholstered
- French walnut Louis XV style
- French walnut and fruit wood veneer,parquetry,ormalu and marquetry
- Classic Victorian white and aged brass
- Mahogany and burr walnut
- Individual French brass bed with garlands
- Pretty Victorian white king size
- Pretty English iron king size bed with brass knobs in mid lead grey
The restoration of all our brass beds is carried out at our Chelvey workshop by our team of experts.
Dirt and rust built up over the years are stripped away and any damaged castings and bed knobs, either repaired or new parts recast to match.
Brass & Iron
Most of these brass and iron antique beds were made in the second half of the 19th century and originate from England and Western Europe.
Brass and iron beds became very popular from around 1840 and vary from simple ironwork to intricate combinations of iron and brass, porcelain and hand painted finishes.
Depending on the mood that you want to achieve, brass can polished to varying degrees.
A high polish gives an attractive lightness to the bed, whereas lightly polished antique brass a dark romantic patina.
Most of the antique wood beds originate from Southern France, and date from the 19th century.
The design of these bedsteads are revivals of earlier styles, occasionally combining several styles in the same bed. It is this combination of classical designs, larger sizes and craftsmanship that make 19th century beds so popular today.
Bedsteads are offered in natural wood finishes, a wide range of paint effects or can be hand polished to work with your existing furniture.
Some beds retain their original fabrics, condition permitting. However, we do offer an upholstery service.
At Bedsteads we employ our own upholsterer. Generally clients will have identified their chosen fabric but if help is required we have a extensive selection of fabric samples.
For upholstered beds the price quoted includes re-upholstery.