- Quality mahogany bedroom suite with pair/super super king size
- Striking Art Deco style
- Early Victorian iron in hague blue
- Spanish white and brass
- Pretty French bergere painted caned bed
- Pretty Victorian half tester in Linen wash
- Classic Victorian white and aged brass
- Original French grey with gilded highlights super king size Empire style
- Gorgeous green forged iron double
- Mahogany and burr walnut
- Empire style French double bed
- Individual Edwardian white and brass double
- Original French directoire bed cracked aged paint
- Pretty Victorian white king size
- Amazing beautiful French Louis XVIstyle bergere bedroom suite with kingsize bed (and quality fittin
- Very large bigger than super king size Directoire style French painted bed (part of suite)
- Rare fancy white early iron
- Classically beautiful Victorian brass and iron
- French Rosewood Louis XVI style
- Stunningly beautiful Louis XVI style large king size bed
- Sumptuous French double corbeille
- Pair/super king size Italian Rococco bombe front walnut veneer
- Mahogany upholstered sleigh bed
- Italian ornately carved and gilded low foot end upholstered bed
- R.W Winfield original kingsize early Winfield bed
- Three quarter classic white and brass Victorian
- Handsome mahogany and fruit wood with parquetry detail
- Individual French brass bed with garlands
- Lovely high quality cherry Louis XV bedroom suite
- Very pretty forged iron bed
- French kingsize African rosewood bed; (has matching armoire and bedside)
- Pretty English iron king size bed with brass knobs in mid lead grey
- Striking carved and gilded French upholstered
- Pair of cherry Louis XV bedsides
- French Louis XVI style with crackle glaze aged paint
- Gothic Victorian all brass with castors
- Beautiful carved oak marriage bed with matching bedsides and mirror
- Solid walnut Louis XV
- Solid Walnut empire style
- Irish cottage style black all iron
- Very pretty singles can be joined as kingsize
- Simple all iron dormitory style
- Hand painted white and grey empire style French king size bed
- Art Deco black and chrome double bedstead
- Handsome classic Victorian black and brass
- Pair of French caned Louis XV style single beds
- Painted and gilded very ornate Italian bed with low foot end ; and matching three door wardrobe
- Pair of French upholstered single beds with crackle aged old white paintwork
- Beautiful mahogany French sleigh daybed
- French walnut Louis XV style
- French walnut edge upholstered bed
- French painted bergere caned
- Lovely simple all iron hand finished in blackbird egg paint effect
- Classic Victorian and warm aged brass
- Directoire style two meter wide original painted
- French carved oak bed with pair of bedsides
- Very pretty pair of small singles
- Pretty early black and brass
- Irish cottage style
- Classic Victorian brass and white double bed
- Classic Victorian Black and brass double bed
- Pair of French bergere style single corbielle beds
- Good quality gilded carved and caned French king size bed
- Pretty Irish "no end"
- Classic Victorian white and brass
- Pretty Victorian Iron bed with little brass details
- Newly upholstered French walnut frame Louis XV style
- French walnut and fruit wood veneer,parquetry,ormalu and marquetry
- Sweet simple small white single
- Beautifully carved French solid walnut
- Prettiest forged iron Portuguese king size bed
- Pretty kingsize forged iron and brass no end
- Very pretty early iron no end double bed
- Extremely rare super king size Winfield all brass bedstead
- 160 cms width French upholstered bed
- Early Victorian all iron bed
- Pair of magnificent quality Louis VX French walnut single beds
- Fully restored French upholstered double sleigh bed
The restoration of all our brass beds is carried out at our Chelvey workshop by our team of experts.
Dirt and rust built up over the years are stripped away and any damaged castings and bed knobs, either repaired or new parts recast to match.
Brass & Iron
Most of these brass and iron antique beds were made in the second half of the 19th century and originate from England and Western Europe.
Brass and iron beds became very popular from around 1840 and vary from simple ironwork to intricate combinations of iron and brass, porcelain and hand painted finishes.
Depending on the mood that you want to achieve, brass can polished to varying degrees.
A high polish gives an attractive lightness to the bed, whereas lightly polished antique brass a dark romantic patina.
Most of the antique wood beds originate from Southern France, and date from the 19th century.
The design of these bedsteads are revivals of earlier styles, occasionally combining several styles in the same bed. It is this combination of classical designs, larger sizes and craftsmanship that make 19th century beds so popular today.
Bedsteads are offered in natural wood finishes, a wide range of paint effects or can be hand polished to work with your existing furniture.
Some beds retain their original fabrics, condition permitting. However, we do offer an upholstery service.
At Bedsteads we employ our own upholsterer. Generally clients will have identified their chosen fabric but if help is required we have a extensive selection of fabric samples.
For upholstered beds the price quoted includes re-upholstery.