- Beautifully carved French solid walnut
- Irish cottage style black all iron
- Grey simple all iron king size
- Very pretty singles can be joined as kingsize
- Simple all iron dormitory style
- Handsome mahogany and fruit wood with parquetry detail
- Simple all iron Irish
- Classic Edwardian white and brass dip rail
- Handsome mahogany empire style with quality ormalu decoration
- Simple Irish iron double bed
- Very pretty forged iron bed
- Original Edwardian simple all brass double be
- Amazing beautiful French Louis XVIstyle bergere bedroom suite with kingsize bed (and quality fittin
- Fully restored French upholstered double sleigh bed
- French Louis XVI style upholstered with light beech frame
- French carved oak bed with pair of bedsides
- Classic Edwardian kingsize heritage white and aged brass
- Very pretty pair of small singles
- Pretty early black and brass
- Simple French all iron in Little Greene gauze paint
- Classic Victorian brass and iron dip rail
- Individual French brass bed with garlands
- Original French directoire bed cracked aged paint
- Pair of 1920s wood and brass single beds
- Super king size Victorian brass and iron bed
- French six foot super king sizewide newly upholstered Lit Bateau
- Spectacular quality carved and gilded king size French upholstered bed low end bed
- Very large bigger than super king size Directoire style French painted bed (part of suite)
- French upholstered walnut framed
- Prettiest forged iron Portuguese king size bed
- Gorgeous green forged iron double
- Pretty kingsize forged iron and brass no end
- Very pretty early iron no end
- Hand painted white and grey empire style French king size bed
- Extremely rare super king size Winfield all brass bedstead
- Art Deco black and chrome double bedstead
- Lovely high quality cherry Louis XV bedroom suite
- Early Victorian all iron bed
- All original silk upholstered king size French Lit Bateau
- King size painted aged cream with light gilt detail French Empire Style
- French kingsize African rosewood bed; (has matching armoire and bedside)
- Pretty French silk kingsize Louis XV style upholstered bed
- Italian ornately carved and gilded low foot end upholstered bed
- Exceptional quality bedroom suite with kingsize bed
- Wood frame French Empire style upholstered
- Mahogany and burr walnut
- Very pretty early iron no end double bed
- Aged paintwork Louis XV in calico
- All original black and brass double
- Classic Victorian brass and white double bed
- Handsome classic Victorian black and brass
- Pretty Victorian white king size
- Pair of French caned Louis XV style single beds
- Pair of French bergere style single corbielle beds
- Painted and gilded very ornate Italian bed with low foot end ; and matching three door wardrobe
- Pretty English iron king size bed with brass knobs in mid lead grey
- Pair of single solid cherry latticed sleigh beds
- All original Victorian black and brass king size
- R.W Winfield original kingsize early Winfield bed
- Three quarter classic white and brass Victorian
- Empire style French double bed
- Irish cottage style
- Individual Edwardian white and brass double
- 160 cms width French upholstered bed
- Classic Victorian Black and brass double bed
- Original king size Victorian brass bed
- Handsome all brass Victorian King size bedsteads with original castors
- Pair of magnificent quality Louis VX French walnut single beds
- Good quality gilded carved and caned French king size bed
- Pair of French upholstered single beds with crackle aged old white paintwork
The restoration of all our brass beds is carried out at our Chelvey workshop by our team of experts.
Dirt and rust built up over the years are stripped away and any damaged castings and bed knobs, either repaired or new parts recast to match.
Brass & Iron
Most of these brass and iron antique beds were made in the second half of the 19th century and originate from England and Western Europe.
Brass and iron beds became very popular from around 1840 and vary from simple ironwork to intricate combinations of iron and brass, porcelain and hand painted finishes.
Depending on the mood that you want to achieve, brass can polished to varying degrees.
A high polish gives an attractive lightness to the bed, whereas lightly polished antique brass a dark romantic patina.
Most of the antique wood beds originate from Southern France, and date from the 19th century.
The design of these bedsteads are revivals of earlier styles, occasionally combining several styles in the same bed. It is this combination of classical designs, larger sizes and craftsmanship that make 19th century beds so popular today.
Bedsteads are offered in natural wood finishes, a wide range of paint effects or can be hand polished to work with your existing furniture.
Some beds retain their original fabrics, condition permitting. However, we do offer an upholstery service.
At Bedsteads we employ our own upholsterer. Generally clients will have identified their chosen fabric but if help is required we have a extensive selection of fabric samples.
For upholstered beds the price quoted includes re-upholstery.