- Three quarter classic white and brass Victorian
- Very pretty early iron no end
- Handsome mahogany and fruit wood with parquetry detail
- Irish cottage style
- Extremely rare super king size Winfield all brass bedstead
- Individual French brass bed with garlands
- Handsome mahogany empire style with quality ormalu decoration
- Handsome classic Victorian black and brass
- Early Victorian all iron bed
- Pretty burnished forged iron king size bed
- Original Edwardian simple all brass double be
- Amazing beautiful French Louis XVI style bergere bedroom suite with kingsize bed (and quality fittin
- Fully restored French upholstered double sleigh bed
- Pair of French upholstered single beds with crackle aged old white paintwork
- French Empire style walnut with fruit wood veneers king size
- Pretty shabby chic Louis XV painted bed and bedside
- Simple French all iron in Little Greene gauze paint
- Simple all iron Irish
- Very pretty forged iron
- Gorgeous individual king size brass and iron bedstead
- Original French directoire bed cracked aged paint
- Elegant simple Classic Edwardian double
- Pretty Victorian white king size
- Super king size Victorian brass and iron bed
- French six foot super king sizewide newly upholstered Lit Bateau
- Spectacular quality carved and gilded king size French upholstered bed low end bed
- Very large bigger than super king size Directoire style French painted bed (part of suite)
- Simple all iron dormitory style
- Very pretty early iron no end double bed
- Hand painted white and grey empire style French king size bed
- Individual French brass and iron king size
- All original black and brass double
- Art Deco black and chrome double bedstead
- Attractive unusual simple forged iron
- Classic Victorian Black and brass double bed
- Original king size Victorian brass bed
- All original silk upholstered king size French Lit Bateau
- King size painted aged cream with light gilt detail French Empire Style
- French kingsize African rosewood bed; (has matching armoire and bedside)
- Walnut Henri II French double bedstead
- Pretty early black and brass
- Fabulous original French Art Deco painted bedroom suite
- French mahogany and fruit wood
- Classic Edwardian king size French grey
- Individual Edwardian white and brass double
- Classic Victorian brass and white double bed
- Lovely high quality cherry Louis XV bedroom suite
- Simple Irish iron double bed
- Very pretty forged iron bed
- Pair of French caned Louis XV style single beds
- Pair of French bergere style single corbielle beds
- Painted and gilded very ornate Italian bed with low foot end ; and matching three door wardrobe
- Pretty French silk kingsize Louis XV style upholstered bed
- French renaissance style walnut king size
- Empire style French double bed
- Aged paintwork Louis XV in calico
- Classic Victorian brass and iron dip rail
- Classic Edwardian white and brass dip rail
- 160 cms width French upholstered bed
- Pair of French walnut
- Pair of 1920s wood and brass single beds
- Newly upholstered French Louis XV style corbeille bed
- Handsome all brass Victorian King size bedsteads with original castors
- Pair of magnificent quality Louis VX French walnut single beds
- Good quality gilded carved and caned French king size bed
- Pretty English iron king size bed with brass knobs in mid lead grey
The restoration of all our brass beds is carried out at our Chelvey workshop by our team of experts.
Dirt and rust built up over the years are stripped away and any damaged castings and bed knobs, either repaired or new parts recast to match.
Brass & Iron
Most of these brass and iron antique beds were made in the second half of the 19th century and originate from England and Western Europe.
Brass and iron beds became very popular from around 1840 and vary from simple ironwork to intricate combinations of iron and brass, porcelain and hand painted finishes.
Depending on the mood that you want to achieve, brass can polished to varying degrees.
A high polish gives an attractive lightness to the bed, whereas lightly polished antique brass a dark romantic patina.
Most of the antique wood beds originate from Southern France, and date from the 19th century.
The design of these bedsteads are revivals of earlier styles, occasionally combining several styles in the same bed. It is this combination of classical designs, larger sizes and craftsmanship that make 19th century beds so popular today.
Bedsteads are offered in natural wood finishes, a wide range of paint effects or can be hand polished to work with your existing furniture.
Some beds retain their original fabrics, condition permitting. However, we do offer an upholstery service.
At Bedsteads we employ our own upholsterer. Generally clients will have identified their chosen fabric but if help is required we have a extensive selection of fabric samples.
For upholstered beds the price quoted includes re-upholstery.